Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Best Type of Doctor

"Then any of the diseases that I placed in Egypt, I will not bring upon you, for I am Hashem, your healer" [Beshalach 15:26]

The Rambam was the personal physician of the king of Egypt. Under his care, the king never took ill and always remained in the best of health.

"How can I be sure" said the king to the Rambam, "that you are truly a proficient physician? After all, my health never falters. What if I would take ill - would you be adept at healing me?"

"The best type of doctor", answered the Rambam, "is one who is able to prevent the patient from getting sick in the first place - and not the one who proves capable of healing him once he has taken ill.  This is as it states in our holy Torah: "Then any of the diseases that I placed in Egypt, I will not bring upon you, for I am Hashem, your healer" - I am Hashem your healer, who will make sure that all of the diseases that were prevalent in Egypt will not come upon you to begin with."

Source: Rabbi Yisrael Bronstein

No comments: